Facilitating the Participatory Planning of Community-based Forest Management Using GIS & RS Technologies in Forest Resources Management in the Philippines, Indonesia & Thailand
Countries: Indonesia, Philippines & ThailandDuration: 5 years (2015 - 2019)
Goal and Objectives
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to improvement of forest resources and their management, particularly in community settlement areas. This particular project has short and long-term objectives as follows:
Short Term Objectives (3-5 years):
- Streamline existing planning guidelines and procedures with the aid of Geographical Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS) technologies in the preparation of Community-level Forest Management (CFM) plan;
- Improve the planning capacities of target beneficiaries;
- Improve the certainty of tenured forests with workable CFM plan;
- Support the CFM plans successfully implemented; and
- Increase the number of forest technicians with the capabilities to provide assistance in the preparation of CFM plan.
Long Term Objectives (6-10 years):
- Maintain and/or increase in area developed within established tenured forests;
- Improve financial capability of target beneficiaries to implement forest development activities;
- Increase the number of target beneficiaries with improved forest management planning capabilities; and
- Apply the improved participatory planning guidelines through the aid of GIS and RS in community-based forest management projects.
Upon the completion of the project, reports on assessment and analysis of the status of community-level forest management planning process among the implementing countries will be made available as baseline information. A key component of the project is to develop enhanced procedures in formulation and development of community-level forest management plans and the stakeholders will receive capacity building activities with the assistance of GIS/RS technologies. Such advanced planning will improve synergy and mainstreaming in the field, promote investments from development partners and improve monitoring and evaluation mechanism. In addition, the project will encourage the involvement of local communities in addressing the adverse impact of climate change.