Goal & Objectives
The project aims to strengthen transboundary forestry cooperation among the four implementing countries as well as within the ASEAN region through the application of the landscape approach in natural resources management. The specific objectives are outlined as follows:
- Recognize and contribute to addressing a wide range of natural resources management issues and concerns across different ecosystems in four implementing countries.
- Assess the management compatibilities of communities/stakeholders within a specific landscape and its interrelationships (pros and cons) between and among landscapes in a Ridge to Reef horizon.
- Capacitate respective forestry sector technicians through formal and experiential learning on Reclamation, Rehabilitation, and Restoration of Degraded Forest Ecosystems (RRR-DFE) following the landscape approach.
The project is scheduled to deliver the following outputs upon completion:
- Establishment of a model beach forest in the scope of forest rehabilitation against erosion and forest fires in Brunei Darussalam;
- Establishment of a model reforestation site in tropical peatland of Indonesia, especially peat swamp forests (PSF) as a model in reducing greenhouse gasses emission and haze pollution, preventing drought and flood, protecting biodiversity loss, and improving local livelihood and community health;
- Establishment of a model site for sustainable forest management in the Philippines through a landscape approach in consideration of varying interests among the stakeholders and without marginalizing the concerns of the local communities;
- Training of trainers in Singapore on urban forestry and biodiversity conservation using landscape approach;
- Shared learning and exchange of technology and expertise among the implementing countries and ASEAN countries through exchange visits and regional activities;
- Comparative assessment of management capabilities across communities, stakeholders and landscapes; and
- Documentation on the lessons and experiences of the project that will serve as a reference for future development and policy actions in the region.