|Deadline for Application||:||28 February 2023 |
(to be extended depending on circumstances)
|Job Title||:||Director / Professional Level 4|
|Type of Appointment||:||Fixed-Term|
|Duration of Appointment||:||Two (2) years (Renewable contingent on performance)|
|Annual Gross Salary||:||USD 88,351 to 107,114 (To be decided after assessment)|
|Eligible Nationality||:||Nationals of the Parties to the AFoCO Agreement at the time of application deadline:|
Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Viet Nam
|Organization Unit||:||Project and Program Division,|
Asian Forest Cooperation Organization Secretariat
|Duty Station||:||Seoul, Republic of Korea (HQs)|
|Expected Date for Entry on Duty||:||At the earliest possible date after mutual consultation|
Background and Organizational Setting
Asian Forest Cooperation Organization (AFoCO) is an inter-governmental organization currently embracing thirteen (14) Parties and two (2) observer countries in Asia. AFoCO aims to strengthen regional cooperation by transforming proven technology and policies into concrete actions in the context of sustainable forest management to address the impact of climate change.
The AFoCO Secretariat is inviting qualified candidates for the post of Director of the Project and Program Division (PPD) to enhance the Secretariat’s capacity in fulfilling its functions and strengthening international forest cooperation in the Asian region. To fulfill its mandate, PPD’s work mainly focuses on the development and formulation of cooperation project with the member Parties and assistance in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Executive Director of the Asian Forest Cooperation Organization, the incumbent of this post will be responsible for the following duties:
- Undertakes and supervises the programmatic, administrative, and managerial tasks necessary for the functioning of the Project and Program Division in a timely fashion and coordinates activities undertaken by the Division with other divisions of the Secretariat, as appropriate;
- Takes the lead to develop and formulate the AFoCO Regular Projects in line with the organizational strategic framework, and coordinates activities related to project implementation monitoring, and evaluation to enhance efficiency in the delivery of project activities and to ensure the successful achievement of project goals and sustainability;
- Develops and manages project-related manuals, guidelines, regulations, and policies to communicate a standardized project formulation and implementation processes with relevant stakeholders, such as the national focal officials, project implementers, consultants, suppliers of goods and services, etc.;
- Overall manages AFoCO capacity building programs, and operates the AFoCO Regional Education and Training Center (RETC) to ensure proper implementation of the training activities;
- Coordinate capacity development programs of AFoCO by leading in the formulation of AFoCO capacity building plan/programs aligned/consistent with the Organization’s Strategic Priority Areas; lead the consolidation of all capacity building activities of the Secretariat and RETC to be translated into annual capacity building plan;
- Provides policy advice and technical assistance to the Executive Director and the Vice Executive Director of the Secretariat in the decision-making process for the project-related policies, strategies and priorities;
- Assists outreach and resource mobilization activities to diversify funding mechanisms of the organization for project development and implementation; disseminates outcomes and achievements of project activities;
- Provides substantive support to the Executive Director in arrangements for sessions of the Assembly and other consultative meetings including the preparation of agenda topics, necessary documents and presentations, identification of participants, etc.;
- Undertakes other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) preferably in forestry, environmental science, international relations, development policy, or related discipline. A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree) recognized by the Secretariat in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Working Experience
- At least ten (10) years of professional working experience in a government agency, NGO, private company, or an international agency dealing with forestry issues, international cooperation or related issues. Professional working experience in project or program development and management, preferably at the international level, including resources mobilization is desirable.
- A minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated experience in leading a multi-disciplinary team with supervisory function is preferred
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
- Applicant should have no difficulties in starting work immediately upon appointment.
- Applicants who are nationals of the Parties where they have military obligations should submit a military service information proving that they have no limitation on their ability to perform duties assigned during their appointment period.
Evaluation of qualified candidates includes preliminary review of application documents which may be followed by a competency-based oral interview in English.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified on the result of the preliminary evaluation and subsequent schedule of the oral interview by email. If any changes occur, all the applicants will be informed beforehand by email.
How to Apply
Candidates whose qualifications and experience match the requirements for this position may submit their application documents as listed below:
- Personal history profile
(Submit a scanned copy with signature, using a form attached as ANNEX-1);
- Personal statement (Submit a scanned copy with signature, using a form attached as ANNEX-2)
- Consent for Use of Personal Data
(Submit a scanned copy with signature, using a form attached as ANNEX-3);
- Degree certificates of higher educational institutions (university and graduate level);
- Military Service Certificate (when applicable);
- (Optional) Any documents supporting the candidate’s knowledge of a second language. A speaking/reading fluency test may be arranged during the oral interview.
The Application documents should be submitted by email: [email protected]
The subject of the email must state as “Job Application_LAST NAME_First Name_2023-D01”.
All required documents must arrive no later than 17:00 in Korean Time (GMT+9) on 28 February 2023.
- Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their application documents. Application documents which have been submitted will not be returned, and admission may be revoked if the information on the required documents is deemed to be false. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted.
- If the Secretariat fails to find qualified candidate through the evaluation process, the advertised posts may not be filled.
- If the successful candidate cannot start working within one month after the date of appointment mutually agreed due to personal circumstances, the admission may be revoked.
- The successful candidate may be subject to taxation applicable under the laws and regulations of the Republic of Korea.
- The successful candidate will be covered by National Social Security and Insurance System in Korea, and Accident and Life Insurance of the Secretariat.
- The successful candidate will be entitled to annual and other types of leave and shall observe the working hours of the Secretariat in accordance with the relevant regulations and guidelines of the Secretariat.
If you have any other inquiries, please contact by email: [email protected]